Gaston Luga has ambitious plans to increase our sustainability efforts company-wide. Part of this is a shift towards using only eco-friendly materials in all our products by 2023.
We are continually searching for and developing functional, durable materials to reduce our impact on the environment.
This is just some of what we have accomplished in our efforts so far, as we work to grow this list even further:
We are conscious
Maintaining a carbon neutral organisation
- No Animal-Based Materials: No leathers, no adhesives, and no colourings used in the production of our backpacks are sourced from animals. Our materials meet PETA’s requirements and are approved as PETA-approved vegan materials.
- Plant-Based Leather: A selection of products in 2021 had made use of vegan apple leather, a biomaterial created from discarded apple skins.
- Free from DMFa and PFC: All our products made with recycled polyester with polyurethane coating (waterbased polyurethane) are free from DMFa and PFC, ensuring that all can enjoy our products with peace of mind. It is both safer for factory workers, and cleaner for the environment.
We will continuously work on making all our products free from DMFa and PFC.
- Recycled materials: By using recycled materials, recycled polyester with polyurethane, recycled polyester (rPET), we reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills and oceans. With rPET, we can create high-quality products while also taking care of the planet.
- Low Impact Packaging: We ship our products in boxes produced from FSC-certified paper, printed with soy ink, making them eco-friendly and recyclable.
- Biodegradable and Recycled Plastic: Some of our backpacks ship with a protective film. They are either 100% LDPE post-consumer recycled waste or 100% biodegradable, compostable within 3-6 months in ideal composting conditions.